turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student loan consolidation

What are some reputable student loan consolidation companies/program 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Some student loans carriers buy and sell the accounts to other banks on a regular basis.  They are all about the same.  One IMPORTANT thing to look into is the "type" of the consolidation.  Many companies will forgive student debt after you have worked for them for 10 years.  When my son-in-law applied to have his debts forgiven, he was told that they were not the right "kind" of student loan.  Ask lots of questions.

See comment below about federal student loans.

Student loans are either private or government 

If government , there are income based repayment plans where the balance can be forgiven after 10 years of QUALIFIED payments .  Navient and Fedloan are some of the biggest . Atypical that the servicing is sold and the ownership of the loan is NOT sold- the federal government owns the loan 

if private loan , interest rate can be lower but there is normally no income based repayment loan, you owe the entire loan balance . These loans can be bought and sold by the servicer and the investor 

I need help getting rid of student loans. This has been going on for 10 years. I have paid some but they just won’t give me a monthly payment I can live with. I can’t even use the degree I obtained due to my location and the school went bankrupt and closed but then reopened by a different university 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies