turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax only allow a portion of my insurance against rental income when I paid the premium after moving from my residence?

I lived in the house the first 5 months and rented the house the last 7.  My premium was paid in May and goes May 2016 to May 2017. time after we moved, so don't understand why I can't deduct the full amount against the rental income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

Why does TurboTax only allow a portion of my insurance against rental income when I paid the premium after moving from my residence?

You paid 5 months for personal  coverage which is not  a rental expenses,you paid 7 months for insurance for the rental property, that makes a taxable year.

You can deduct as rental expenses only the part of the expense that is for the part of the year the property was used or held for rental purposes

You cannot deduct depreciation or insurance for the part of the year the property was held for personal use. However, you can include the home mortgage interest and real estate tax expenses for the part of the year the property was held for personal use as an itemized deduction on Schedule A

View solution in original post

1 Reply
view2

You paid 5 months for personal  coverage which is not  a rental expenses,you paid 7 months for insurance for the rental property, that makes a taxable year.

You can deduct as rental expenses only the part of the expense that is for the part of the year the property was used or held for rental purposes

You cannot deduct depreciation or insurance for the part of the year the property was held for personal use. However, you can include the home mortgage interest and real estate tax expenses for the part of the year the property was held for personal use as an itemized deduction on Schedule A

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies