Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a small amount of stock as a child which I sold this year. I don't recall the date acquired or know the cost basis of the stock. How do I determine cost basis?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

I received a small amount of stock as a child which I sold this year. I don't recall the date acquired or know the cost basis of the stock. How do I determine cost basis?

You need to do the best efforts of finding your basis. If you can't provide a basis, the IRS assumes no cost so do your best efforts in recreating the basis, always err on the conservative side.

Often the company has a website that would help.  There are also many stock cost basis calculators on the internet that you can search for.

Your basis would have been the amount you paid plus fees for the stock plus any dividend reinvestments you possibly made over the years, adjustments for stock splits and corporate actions. 

If the stock was received in an inheritance, you got the FMV at 12/31 of the year of death.  If it was a gift you got the original holders cost basis (unless at time of gift it was a loss, then you got the FMV on date of gift this is to avoid transferring losses to higher income tax returns).

If the amount is deminimis, you can just enter $0 as the cost basis and see the impact to your return..

If you do not report it , the IRS does get a copy and will bill you plus interest and penalties for the full proceeds and assumes $0 basis.

I wish you luck and hope this answer was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

You need to do the best efforts of finding your basis. If you can't provide a basis, the IRS assumes no cost so do your best efforts in recreating the basis, always err on the conservative side.

Often the company has a website that would help.  There are also many stock cost basis calculators on the internet that you can search for.

Your basis would have been the amount you paid plus fees for the stock plus any dividend reinvestments you possibly made over the years, adjustments for stock splits and corporate actions. 

If the stock was received in an inheritance, you got the FMV at 12/31 of the year of death.  If it was a gift you got the original holders cost basis (unless at time of gift it was a loss, then you got the FMV on date of gift this is to avoid transferring losses to higher income tax returns).

If the amount is deminimis, you can just enter $0 as the cost basis and see the impact to your return..

If you do not report it , the IRS does get a copy and will bill you plus interest and penalties for the full proceeds and assumes $0 basis.

I wish you luck and hope this answer was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Before you go to a lot of time and effort trying to come up with a basis to report, you might just try entering into TurboTax the sale with $0 basis.  Assuming you were a "child" over 1 year ago the the holding period is "long term" and you may find that entering the sale results in no increase in taxes.   That's because if you are in the lowest two tax brackets long term capital gain is taxed a 0%.  (Even if you're not in the lowest two tax brackets this probably would be taxed at the 15% long term capital gains rate.)

If your tax liability doesn't change at all or changes a very small amount you might just decide to leave that basis at $0.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies