Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

auntb1908

Depreciation never taken on rental property

Looks like my tax preparer never depreciated my rental property that I inherited in '96 and began renting out the following year.  It appears I should have recaptured about $96000 by now.  What are my options or is that all lost?  Per Pub 17, the depreciation is recaptured and added to the cost basis whether you take it or not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to 'catch up' on the depreciation by means of Form 3115.

However, this is a confusing form and TurboTax does not support it.  I highly recommend going to a tax professional (preferably one who has experience with Form 3115) to have them do your tax return this year.

http://taxexperts.naea.org/

When you talk to the tax professional, the proper terminology is that you should have "depreciated" about $96,000 by now, and "depreciation" lowers your basis.  Recapture (for real estate, it technically is "Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain") happens when you sell the property and you owe tax based on the depreciation that you took.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lzup2

The system would not import my information from2014??

@TaxGuyBill
I remember you answered one like this a few weeks ago but I couldn't find the thread. Can you help?

You need to 'catch up' on the depreciation by means of Form 3115.

However, this is a confusing form and TurboTax does not support it.  I highly recommend going to a tax professional (preferably one who has experience with Form 3115) to have them do your tax return this year.

http://taxexperts.naea.org/

When you talk to the tax professional, the proper terminology is that you should have "depreciated" about $96,000 by now, and "depreciation" lowers your basis.  Recapture (for real estate, it technically is "Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain") happens when you sell the property and you owe tax based on the depreciation that you took.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies