turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my house in 2016 and moved out of the country. Whats is the proper way to declare this sale? My gain was less than 10K. What documents do I need to have?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I sold my house in 2016 and moved out of the country. Whats is the proper way to declare this sale? My gain was less than 10K. What documents do I need to have?

You may not have to report the sale... The sale of your home is reported only if you have taxable gain or received Form 1099-S. 

If you lived and owned your home for at least two years in the 5 year period on the date of sale - you don't have to report the on your tax return- if your gain is less than $250,000 if filing Single (and $500,000 for married filing jointly both spouses must live and own the home for 2 years).

If your gain is larger than the amounts above (or received 1099-S) you must report the sale:

1. Wages and Income
  2. Select Less Common Income
  3. Select Sale of Home

Note: No documentation needs to be submitted when filing a tax return; keep it for your records, though, in case you are ever requested by the IRS to show it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You may not have to report the sale... The sale of your home is reported only if you have taxable gain or received Form 1099-S. 

If you lived and owned your home for at least two years in the 5 year period on the date of sale - you don't have to report the on your tax return- if your gain is less than $250,000 if filing Single (and $500,000 for married filing jointly both spouses must live and own the home for 2 years).

If your gain is larger than the amounts above (or received 1099-S) you must report the sale:

1. Wages and Income
  2. Select Less Common Income
  3. Select Sale of Home

Note: No documentation needs to be submitted when filing a tax return; keep it for your records, though, in case you are ever requested by the IRS to show it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies