Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jen2016

Does my partner need to file a schedule c if they made $15 in royalties from selling two books?

in the online version of TT it did not give me an option for box 2. In the desktop version it did and created a schedule C and schedule C-EZ. Do those need to be filed with the IRS if $15. was made and $4. was paid in federal taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Does my partner need to file a schedule c if they made $15 in royalties from selling two books?

No - your partner doesn't need to file Schedule C if he/she is NOT in "business" of writing but I recommend that he/she does.  A non- match of 1099-MISC data entry may trigger a correspondence with the IRS, and I'm not sure it's really worth not filing Schedule C for $15. Also, since you mention two books... he/she may be in "business" ...

It is taxable income no matter the amount... but if he/she is not in business of writing, you can enter income as line 21, form 1040, but again... the 1099-misc won't match IRS's data entry...

And you can enter tax withheld in box 4, you should have that there.

edited 3/19/2017

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No - your partner doesn't need to file Schedule C if he/she is NOT in "business" of writing but I recommend that he/she does.  A non- match of 1099-MISC data entry may trigger a correspondence with the IRS, and I'm not sure it's really worth not filing Schedule C for $15. Also, since you mention two books... he/she may be in "business" ...

It is taxable income no matter the amount... but if he/she is not in business of writing, you can enter income as line 21, form 1040, but again... the 1099-misc won't match IRS's data entry...

And you can enter tax withheld in box 4, you should have that there.

edited 3/19/2017

jtax
Level 10

Careful with the  $400 number. I think you might be confusing the general requirement to file a 1040 if your NET self-employment income is $400 or more even if your other income is below the filing threshold.

I do not think there is any law that says you don't have to report GROSS income < $400. If I'm wrong could you please provide a citation to the statue or regulation.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You are correct; I'm not confusing the amount but I should have phrased it a little better...
jtax
Level 10

Ok. The thing to note is that this a general filing issue. And the $400 is net not gross. If  one is already filing because of other income you must report even $15 of income somewhere (other income, schedule C, schedule E).  If one doesn't have enough other income to have to file, the $15 will not create a filing requirement  (unless one is very close to the thresholds).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies