turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I allowed depreciation for a rental asset (furnace) placed in service on 1/15/2018 and sold on 11/20/2018? The depreciation is showing as $0.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Am I allowed depreciation for a rental asset (furnace) placed in service on 1/15/2018 and sold on 11/20/2018? The depreciation is showing as $0.

No, you are not allowed depreciation for any asset that was "placed in service" and disposed in the same tax year.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2018_publink1000107322

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Yes, you should have depreciation on the asset for those 10-11 months.  Make sure it lists it as 100% business and placed in service.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubled checked that the 100% business box was checked and my placed in service and date I stopped using this asset were correct but it still shows the depreciation as zero. I also answered "yes" under special handling for this asset because it was traded as part of a like kind exchange if that makes a difference.

That can make a difference --what did you trade for a furnace?  If this was like a trade in where they took something and you got the furnace or the whole property was a like kind exchange?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The whole rental property was traded in for a like kind property. Form 8824 was completed and attached to the Schedule E. I went through each asset listed on the depreciation page and noted the date it was sold. My other assets that were placed in service prior to 2018 show a partial depreciation for the year. The furnace is the only asset that is not depreciated.

That make it even more perplexing.  I assume it not written off also and expensed.  Best suggestion I can give is to compare line by line with the assets that depreciation was taken to see what is different.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct it was not expensed since everything I read says a new furnace is considered an improvement which should be depreciated. If I do not check off that the asset was sold, it allows me to take the entire amount as a special depreciation. I'll go into the form and compare what is different between this one and the other assets. I just wasnt sure if there was a rule about not being allowed to depreciate an asset if it was used for less than a year or something along those lines. Thanks!

No, you are not allowed depreciation for any asset that was "placed in service" and disposed in the same tax year.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2018_publink1000107322

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies