turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Work from home. rent apt do I get deduction for rent on schedule c

1 Reply

Work from home. rent apt do I get deduction for rent on schedule c

Yes, if you have a home office that qualifies.  Your rent and other home office expenses will go on Form 8829 which flows to the Schedule C.

There are two ways to deduct home office expenses.  One is using Actual Expenses and the other is the Simplified method.  Which one you use depends on the amount of your expenses and the size of your office space.

The Actual Expense method uses the business use percentage of your actual costs (utilities, mortgage interest/rent, insurance, etc.) based on the square footage of your home office compared to your total home. The Simplified method is $5/sq ft up to 300 sq ft of office space. 

To take a deduction for your home office, you must regularly use a portion of your home exclusively for conducting business.  Also, it must be your principal place of business.

This link may also be helpful:

 Can I Take the Home Office Deduction?


How to get to the area to enter your business expenses  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area. 


  • select Edit next to your business (if it is there)
  • scroll to Business Expenses
  • then Select one of the following, depending on what expenses you are entering: Other Common Business Expenses, Home Office, or Business Vehicle Expenses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies