turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to determine cost basis for stock. I have no idea when the stock was purchased.

My cousin's idiot husband found some unclaimed assets belonging to my grandma in the State of New York. I went through the process of becoming a successor administrator to my grandma's estate (she died in 1984 and her estate closed in 1985.) They sent me the proceeds of a sale completed in 2004 and a 1099-B for a grand total of $2170.00. I don't even know exactly what the security was, much less the cost basis. Is this really necessary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need to determine cost basis for stock. I have no idea when the stock was purchased.

Yes.  If you do not report it you will get a notice from the IRS as they have also been sent this form.

If you have no idea what the basis is, then the IRS will take the position that it is zero.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes.  If you do not report it you will get a notice from the IRS as they have also been sent this form.

If you have no idea what the basis is, then the IRS will take the position that it is zero.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies