turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

David870

I have rental property in another state. do I need to file in both that state and my state of residence?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I have rental property in another state. do I need to file in both that state and my state of residence?

Yes but only if you have rental income in your nonresident state where the property is located. For any taxes paid to this nonresident state, you will be allowed a resident state tax credit.

If you have nonresident rental losses and this is your only source of nonresident income/loss, you have no filing requirement in that nonresident state. However, you may want to consider filing a return anyway so that you can establish with your nonresident state that the rental property produced a passive loss (which can be carried forward and used against future passive income).

You will still need to include your rental activities (income or loss) on your federal and resident state tax returns.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
DS30

Yes but only if you have rental income in your nonresident state where the property is located. For any taxes paid to this nonresident state, you will be allowed a resident state tax credit.

If you have nonresident rental losses and this is your only source of nonresident income/loss, you have no filing requirement in that nonresident state. However, you may want to consider filing a return anyway so that you can establish with your nonresident state that the rental property produced a passive loss (which can be carried forward and used against future passive income).

You will still need to include your rental activities (income or loss) on your federal and resident state tax returns.

taxuser

@TurboTaxDeeS I have a rental property in NJ starting December 2017 only. And have net losses on it at the end of December 2017. How do I account for them in my non-resident state return? Will the loss stated on non-resident return be carried forward too or just the federal ones are carried forward?
75Brewin
Returning Member

I was a resident of NY when I filed my 2016 return via TT. I'm now noting that rental property income earned in Calif is also showing as income on my NY sdtate return. How do I ammend?

Ctjsawyer
Returning Member

When filing nonresident rental “income” on turbo tax it asks for income in that state only. Is it asking for NET income (minus expenses) that were previously input into the federal return? 

Sounds like this is the case.   

Just want to make sure this is not meant to be “rent received”

Thanks

jatoc

Hi, i have a similar scenario. Did you find out if you are meant to enter new income (loss)?

Thanks

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Enter everything (income an expenses) from the rental on your federal return and when you go through the state return, TurboTax will give you the option to allocate the net income or loss to the appropriate state.  

Here are the instructions for filing a nonresident return.  Prepare the nonresident BEFORE your resident state.  And be sure to note the rental state in the Personal Info section...All of that is detailed in the link!  

@jatoc

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kfg
Returning Member

I am using the online version of TurboTax.   I had a net loss on a rental property in another state where I am a non-resident.  In the interview process, TurboTax prompts me for other kinds of income (W2, interest, dividend), but not rental income.   How can I allocate rental income (or loss) to the correct state in the online version? 

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have no other income to report in the non-resident state, you probably don't need to file a return there. Rental loss can only be used against other rental income in most cases.

Every state has its own rules regarding nonresident returns. For example, nonresidents with more than $33 in Pennsylvania-sourced income must file a return, while nonresidents with less than $600 in Missouri income don't have to file.

If you're not sure, your best bet is to contact the Department of Revenue in that state, or visit their website. Most state websites have a section devoted to nonresidents and part-year residents.

In TurboTax Online, you can indicate in the MY INFO section that you 'made money in other states'.

However, you may want to confirm that you actually need to file there before paying to add a state to your return. 

Click this link for more info on Why Would I File a Non-Resident Return.

kfg
Returning Member

Thanks for your quick help.  I also have W2 income in this state, so I do need to file.   My question is that the interview process never asks me about rental income, so how to I add it to the state where I am a non-resident using the online version of TT?

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

You don't mention which state you are filing a Non-Resident return in.  

You may need to report all rental income and expenses, to have the rental loss calculated, or TurboTax may have carried over the Schedule E from your Federal return to your state, since the property is located there.

The only way to see all your state forms in TurboTax Online is to pay for your return and download the PDF copy with worksheets to review. You may be able to tell from the amount in the State Refund meter whether the rental loss has been applied. 

Your best bet would be to look at the state's website for Non-Resident filing instructions.

That should tell you whether it can be used against your W-2 income there, or has to be carried over to be applied to future rental income.

Click this link for more discussion on Non-Resident Rental Property.

kfg
Returning Member

I DO want to report the rental income in the non-resident state where the rental property is located and where I also have W2 income.  However, Turbo Tax is not including rental income as an option in the state interview questions.  So, is this a bug, or is there a way around it, for example by using the desktop version of Turbo Tax where you can access forms directly?   I don't want to pay for Turbo Tax if Turbo Tax can't handle this scenario. 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

@kfg You need to enter the rental income in the federal section of TurboTax, then it will flow down to your state return.

I'm not sure what desktop version of TurboTax you are using, but you should be able to type in "schedule E" in the Search Box on your menu bar and you should get a "Jump To" option that will take you to the rental entry screens.

AmirD
Returning Member

Hello Everyone. I have 2 rental properties. one in NC and one in CA. I aggregate all properties and total schedule E income is 0; but I have made $1200 profit from the NC rental property which being offset by the loss from the CA properties. I am a resident of CA with just this rental in NC. Do I need to file tax return with the state of NC?

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you own Rental Property in another state, you need to file a Non-Resident return for that state.  Prepare your North Carolina return first, reporting just your North Carolina income.  When tax is calculated, you will get credit for tax paid to your resident state. 

Here's How to File a Non-Resident State Return and details from North Carolina Dept. of Revenue

@AmirD 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies