turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the house that I lived in the entire year but rent out rooms (2) for Airbnb considered a rental property? The rooms were rented for 159 days of the year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Is the house that I lived in the entire year but rent out rooms (2) for Airbnb considered a rental property? The rooms were rented for 159 days of the year.

Yes, it is considered rental property.  You must divide your expenses between rental use and personal use. In general, your rental expenses will be no more than your total expenses multiplied by a fraction; the denominator of which is the total number of days the dwelling unit is used and the numerator of which is the total number of days actually rented at a fair rental price. 

Only your rental expenses may be deducted on Schedule E (Form 1040). Some of your personal expenses may be deductible on Schedule A (Form 1040) if you itemize your deductions.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it is considered rental property.  You must divide your expenses between rental use and personal use. In general, your rental expenses will be no more than your total expenses multiplied by a fraction; the denominator of which is the total number of days the dwelling unit is used and the numerator of which is the total number of days actually rented at a fair rental price. 

Only your rental expenses may be deducted on Schedule E (Form 1040). Some of your personal expenses may be deductible on Schedule A (Form 1040) if you itemize your deductions.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

Thank you for your quick response! When entering the information, for the question that says "number of days of personal use" do I subtract the number of days the property was rented from 365? Even though I used the property for personal use the entire year?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes.  And when you enter your expenses, enter the full amount and TurboTax do the math to report to correct amounts on Schedule E (rental)  and Schedule A (personal).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies