Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eln3

Can I deduct commission paid to a real estate agent to find a tenant for our rental property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct commission paid to a real estate agent to find a tenant for our rental property?

Yes, a commission you pay to a real estate agent to locate a tenant is a valid rental expense. Enter as an expense in the Rental Properties and Royalties section. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
saikes

Does this rule still apply for 2017 tax filing period? Thank you.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Absolutely!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Yes, a commission you pay to a real estate agent to locate a tenant is a valid rental expense. Enter as an expense in the Rental Properties and Royalties section. 

glennopp
Returning Member

Does it need to be amortized over the length of the lease if there is a multi year lease?

Carl
Level 15

Yes. An I emphasize "amortized" and not capitalized.

Also, you mention a multi-year lease. What state are you in? I ask, because the laws of most states (including my state of Florida) specifically state that a residential rental contract flat out can not exceed 12 months. I know this has nothing to do with taxes. But should your tenant run on you after the first year, you'll have a hard time on the legal front enforcing the contract.

That's wrong. The laws of most states do not specifically state that residential leases can not exceed 12 months. You're getting that confused with the statute of frauds that states leases for more than a year have to be in writing. States don't prohibit leases longer than a year. 

TomD8
Level 15

<<Does it need to be amortized over the length of the lease if there is a multi year lease?>>

Amortization is required only if the aggregate amount paid exceeds $5,000.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.263(a)-4

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

<<Maximum term of a residential lease is 50 years. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/25/162.311>>

That section only applies to native (indian) lands. The feds and states do not state a maximum term for a residential lease.

TomD8
Level 15

@smarttees   Appreciate the correction.  Edited my response.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

the monthly rent is $3200. I received a first month's check from the tenant for $1280. The tenant wrote a check to the realtor for $1920 (5% commission for a year lease). can I still write off the $1920 commission even thought it was not paid directly from me but paid on my behalf by the tenant?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Essentially no.  If you received the full $3200 you would have an expense out of that of $1920 commission, but since the tenant has already split the realtor portion out, you have no expense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies