Why does entering expenses for my rental property cause my tax due go up instead of down?

I started on the rental property section and realizes the tax due was going up for each expense I entered (property taxes, insurance, etc) I took the expenses out and the tax due went back down. How can that be correct?

Likely it is due to the way EIC is calculated (on a bell curve).

However, you are required to claim all of your expenses.

That is definitely not it. Fortunately or unfortunately, we do not qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

I think I've I figured it out - it is the new qualified business income deduction. Because the new 20% deduction is a below the line deduction, it lowers the tax more than expenses do.