Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
priyatasonawane

Where do I add rent paid in 2016

Where do I add rent paid in 2016

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin. I don't know if there are any others.

jerry2000
Alumni

Where do I add rent paid in 2016

You do not enter rent on your Federal tax return because it is not deductible. Some states have a renter's credit. If your state does, then it will be covered in the state interview when you prepare your state tax return.