`
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where can i claim Hawaii GE Taxes that I paid for all my rental properties?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Expert Alumni

You can add these in the FEDERAL section under Taxes and Estimates paid, there is an option where you can enter Miscellaneous taxes paid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Highlighted
Level 15

You can add these in the FEDERAL section under Taxes and Estimates paid, there is an option where you can enter Miscellaneous taxes paid.

@Anonymous and @MaryK1101 

Actually, for the state of Hawaii GET tax, that's wrong. the GET tax (General Excise Tax) is imposed on all gross business income. It is not imposed on personal income. Claiming GET on the SCH A will not help you at all if your total SCH A deductions do not exceed your standard deduction.

So for the GET tax the correct place to report it for your rental property, is on line 16 of the SCH E. To do that in Turbotax, work through the rental expenses section and you will enter the GET you paid for each individual property you own, in the "Other Taxes" box. It's directly below the box for "Real Estate Taxes".

Highlighted
Level 15

Thanks for that tidbit of information. Good to know. I myself left HI 20 years ago next month. A lot has changed on the tax front since then. While I do try to keep up, it's inevitable that some things slip through the cracks.