turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stock123

Long term stock

why my truboxtax counts $1000 tax for my $6000 long-term stock income?  It should be 15% flat rate as our family income is $180000. please answer asap. I am doing my 2016 tax now. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Long term stock

When you enter one taxable transaction, you can't just watch the monitor.  You increased your overall adjusted gross income and with that come many other changes in your return, not just the incremental tax on the one transaction.

Even though the Capital Gains is taxed at a different rate it still increases your income and AGI so you might be losing some of your credits or deductions, like the EIC or the limit on Medical deductions (only over 10% of your AGI) or Employee Job Expenses (only over 2% of AGI).

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it.  Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Long term stock

The sale of stock could be effecting other things like taxable SS benefits, deductions & credits.

Since you have the superior downloaded program you can switch to the FORMS mode at will and review how the sale is effecting your return.   Look for the Qualifying dividends & Long Term Cap gain tax worksheet.

Long term stock

As your income goes up, certain deductions and credits can go down.

Long term stock

When you enter one taxable transaction, you can't just watch the monitor.  You increased your overall adjusted gross income and with that come many other changes in your return, not just the incremental tax on the one transaction.

Even though the Capital Gains is taxed at a different rate it still increases your income and AGI so you might be losing some of your credits or deductions, like the EIC or the limit on Medical deductions (only over 10% of your AGI) or Employee Job Expenses (only over 2% of AGI).

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it.  Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

Long term stock

That link is bad.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies