turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello. I've review the FAQs and am still not sure what constitutes a passive loss on rental property that I sold this last year. For example, I had to replace the HVAC.

Does a passive loss include damage to a rental unit? Repair of damaged flooring? HVAC replacement? All of these apply to the unit I sold.  Thx.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

Hello. I've review the FAQs and am still not sure what constitutes a passive loss on rental property that I sold this last year. For example, I had to replace the HVAC.

When total expenses exceed total rental income.

Renting out real estate property is generally considered a passive activity.

A PAL occurs when total losses (including prior year unallowed losses) from all your passive activities exceed the total income from all your passive activities. 

Form 8582 is used by noncorporate taxpayers to figure the amount of any passive activity loss (PAL) for the current tax year and to report the application of prior year unallowed PALs.

Form 8582 , Passive Activity Loss Limitations, is used to summarize income and losses from passive activities and to compute the deductible losses. [check this form in the total print out of all worksheets and forms]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
view2

When total expenses exceed total rental income.

Renting out real estate property is generally considered a passive activity.

A PAL occurs when total losses (including prior year unallowed losses) from all your passive activities exceed the total income from all your passive activities. 

Form 8582 is used by noncorporate taxpayers to figure the amount of any passive activity loss (PAL) for the current tax year and to report the application of prior year unallowed PALs.

Form 8582 , Passive Activity Loss Limitations, is used to summarize income and losses from passive activities and to compute the deductible losses. [check this form in the total print out of all worksheets and forms]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies