turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seiter-j

When calculating the deduction for business use of home, can I enter the full rent paid in 2017 even if my wife paid some from her bank account?

I am a business owner (llc partnership) with pass through k-1 income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When calculating the deduction for business use of home, can I enter the full rent paid in 2017 even if my wife paid some from her bank account?

Yes, a married couple is considered one entity on a joint return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, a married couple is considered one entity on a joint return.

seiter-j

Thanks for the reply.  This deduction is entered as Supplemental Bus Exp (SBE) which tracks to Schedule E as a full deduction to my K-1 income (not form 2106 for w-2 which is much more limited).  Does that change your answer or do you think your answer still holds true?

Still holds ... money transferred between spouses is immaterial to the IRS ... spouses pay for each others items all the time.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies