turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcuervo7

What should I include in the "Illinois part year and nonresidents" section, it asks for Business income and also rent and royalties but I don't have a business in IL?

After reporting how much income I made in Illinois out of my total income it leads me to the next page that says "Illinois part-year and nonresidents". That page asks for "Business Income (Loss)" as well as "Rents, Royalties and k-1 income". Im kind of confused on that part since I don't live nor have a business in Illinois, and even though I put zero as the page says I can it then asks me to allocate my federal income in the business income section.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What should I include in the "Illinois part year and nonresidents" section, it asks for Business income and also rent and royalties but I don't have a business in IL?

When you allocate income for part-year returns, you have to allocate each segment of income such as Wages, Business Income, Rental Income, Gambling Income, etc.   You might not have all of these categories.   The screen should show you the total for each category and then you can tell TurboTax how much of that income should be allocated to IL.   If you have total wages of 30K, you might indicate 20K of that belongs to IL.    But if you have no business income or rental income, you can only allocate $0.    

Did you receive any income from rental property or on Form 1099?   Form 1099 income is usually business income on Schedule C.    Your state return would ask you how much of this business income belongs to IL.   If you don't have business income or your business income was earned in another state, you should allocate $0 to IL.  

How to allocate income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies