turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

9xtway

What section do i enter refinance costs on my rental property?

what screen, or category do i go to?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

In the assets/depreciation section. Select "Intangible Assets/Other and work it through. The life is the length of the loan - 15 or 30 years typically. Code section you'll select is 163:Financing Fees.

This will make those fees amortized (not capitalized) and deducted (not depreciated) over the life of the loan, as they should be.

barbaragcone
Returning Member

I am not asking about my points.  I am asking about depreciating the cost of my rental plus the bathroom remodel of 50k that was rolled into the refi.

You got the answer for the question you posted ... so if the refi was used to cover the purchase plus improvements then the interest you pay is an expense and the house + improvements are entered as assets when you get to that section of the Sch E interview.   

Carl
Level 15

A refi has absolutely no effect on existing depreciation that was in process already prior to the refi. Nothing changes there. But if you "cashed out" on the refi and used any of the cash out to get property improvements done on that rental, then the property improvement is added to the already existing list of assets in the Assets/Depreciation section.

Take note that interest on that portion of cash-out money that was not used for the rental, can not be claimed as a deduction on the SCH E. If you did in fact cash out and still had cash left over after paying the the remodel, then let me know if you need more details on this so you don't inadvertently claim interest on the refi that you may not be entitled to legally.

Basically, I would need the following:

Amount of the new loan that was used to pay off the old loan (Interest is deductible on SCH E)

Amount of the new loan used to pay for property improvements on the rental (Interest deductible on SCH E)

Amount of the new loan that was "NOT" used to pay anything on the rental (Interest is "NOT" deductible)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies