turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I but Turbo Tax Advice/ Expert Review will they only answer questions about my current tax return ? I am thinking of selling a rental property and have questions

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If I but Turbo Tax Advice/ Expert Review will they only answer questions about my current tax return ? I am thinking of selling a rental property and have questions

They may be able to offer some advice however they are basically restricted to the return at hand.  What you really need to do is use the Downloaded version to do some extrapolations in the test mode ... if you have not paid for the Online version you can switch now ... and to save a few bucks you can buy the Deluxe version ( Basic if you do not need a state return) since all the downloaded versions have all the same forms and functions ... in the higher versions you just get more interview "help" screens ....

The Home and Business program is the desktop/downloadable version of Self-Employed.  They are essentially the same program and generate the same forms.  Self-Employed is the online version of Home and Business.  

Let me know what you are trying to do and I can direct you where to go in TurboTax.  If you want to switch from preparing your taxes online to using the desktop software to prepare your taxes, see the instructions for making the change here:  Switch from Online to Desktop  

This is my mini version of the downloaded tutorial that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

·         Why would I use Forms Mode?

·         How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Windows software?

·         How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Mac software?

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

·         >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy

·         1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 

·         2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 

·         3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 

·         4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 

·          https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

·         >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 

·         - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 

·         - Click on the Open Form Icon 

·         - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 

·         - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 

·         - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1.     From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).

2.     Browse to where you want to save your backup.

o    Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.

3.     In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)

4.     Click Save and then close TurboTax.

5.     Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

·         Retrieve a Tax File from a Portable Device

·         What's the difference between the tax data file and the PDF file?

·         How do I save my return as a PDF in the TurboTax software for Windows?

·         How do I save my return as a PDF in the TurboTax software for Mac?

·         How can I protect the tax files on my computer?

GEN85508

Answered by  TurboTax FAQ  to  this question

what I really want to be able to do is run what-if scenarios. It seems that I can not do this with the online version  ( no I have not paid for this year yet)  Its complicated.   A rental property that was a qualified 1031 exchanged 20 years ago that was owner occupied until recently.  Do I sell now while still working but able ( I think) to get some tax relief because I lived there more than 2 of the last 5 years or do I wait until next year or later when I am retired and have less income but wont qualify for the 2 of last 5 years rule and property values are predicted to come down. And I still want to file this years taxes which will not be impacted by a sale in 2019  ,AND of course I would still like to ask a few specific questions about what I can and can't do

what I really want to be able to do is run what-if scenarios. It seems that I can not do this with the online version  ( no I have not paid for this year yet)  Its complicated.   A rental property that was a qualified 1031 exchanged 20 years ago that was owner occupied until recently.  Do I sell now while still working but able ( I think) to get some tax relief because I lived there more than 2 of the last 5 years or do I wait until next year or later when I am retired and have less income but wont qualify for the 2 of last 5 years rule and property values are predicted to come down. And I still want to file this years taxes which will not be impacted by a sale in 2019  Thanks for your input

AND of course I would still like to ask a few specific questions about what I can and can't do

Sometimes talking to a local tax pro is worth the fee to get many questions answered ... but if you will still do it yourself then switch to the Downloaded version now (see the link above)   ... finish the 2018 return then "what if" your heart out ... just keep saving the test returns under different names and start over with the base return.  

I dont understand 'talking to a local tax pro'  - are you referring to someone affiliated with turbo tax ? that was my original question - if I paid for the expert advise if the could answer my questions. Otherwise, how do I find 'local tax pro' ? I live in Europe, my building is in the states . If I have the downloaded  version is there a tax person affiliated with that to answer questions? The fee is not really the issue.

can someone answer my question?  the turbo tax websites says if I purchase the premier or home and business version I get  " Extra guidance for rental property income, expenses, and refinancing'  but when I read the email above I see  " they may be able to offer some advice however they are basically restricted to the return at hand'  I can step through the software and answer the questions by myself to fill out my tax return. I dont think I need an expert for that. I want answers to questions about what the options are if I sell, which is not the return at hand, it would be next year's return.  For instance, I lived in 1 unit out of 3 for 2 out of the last 5 years.  Does the $250,000 exemption get prorated -  1/3 and/ or 2/5s  Does this amount get subtracted from the sales price before I calculate the gain?  What types of improvements can I use to adjust my basis - only improvements that were capitalized/ depreciated ? or can I included improvements that I expensed the year they were made. The building is a qualified 1031 exemption - I've been a landlord close to 40 years.  I did not depreicate the first building - didn't know about this back then.  Do I need to pay recapture on the first building or is it enough to figure out my new basis when I aquired the 2nd building and work from there.  If I need to hire a 'local pro' - how do I find one?  Thank you

Well doubt you will find a local pro in Europe. Extra guidance in the TT just means more screen help not human help ...so your choices are use the online LIVE version, the CPA option, the Downloaded version OR contact a CPA that can help you even if you talk to one stateside.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies