turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We refinanced our mobile home with an auto loan. We are renting it to my brother for l$200 per month. Loan payment is $538. We also pay trash and insurance.

Advice?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

We refinanced our mobile home with an auto loan. We are renting it to my brother for l$200 per month. Loan payment is $538. We also pay trash and insurance.

You can consider your mobile home as Rental Property.

You can claim Property Tax, Loan Interest, Utilities, Insurance, etc. as Rental Expenses.

Set up your rental property in the Property Profile section and add the home under Assets/Depreciation

Click this link for more info on How to Enter Rental Income and Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

how much per month.  because you are renting to a relative any day you rent at less than fair market (FMV) is considered a personal use day.   then the rules for the rental are as follows

was personal use days more than 14 days or 10% of rental days. if yes special rules apply. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is also another issue.  to be deductible as mortgage interest it must be secured debt. 

secured debt is represented by a signed instrument that:

1) the mobile home is security for the debt

2) provides, in the case of default, that the home would satisfy the debt

3)is recorded or is otherwise perfected under any applicable state or local law. 

He is able to pay $200 per month.  The auto loan we used to refinance it is $540 plus full coverage insurance on the truck we used as collateral.

Bank would not use house as collateral because it is a mobile home older than 20 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies