turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kuroro
Returning Member

US resident gifting US stocks and options to foreign individuals, any suggestions and tax form needed to be filed?

Hello,

I am a US resident, and currently holding some US stocks and options for short-term investment in profits.

If I gift some securities to my parents who are non-resident alien foreigners by the end of 2020 with less than $15000 fair value each, via position transfer within the same US broker firm to my parents' individual investment accounts, I assume that I don't have to pay any tax, including capital gains and gifting tax, for these position transfers, am I correct?

Is there anything I have to pay attention to, such as any tax form I have to file by doing this?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

US resident gifting US stocks and options to foreign individuals, any suggestions and tax form needed to be filed?

I assume that I don't have to pay any tax, including capital gains and gifting tax, for these position transfers, am I correct?   CORRECT

Is there anything I have to pay attention to, such as any tax form I have to file by doing this?  NO TAX FORMS

Manage cookies