Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work as the manager of a bed and breakfast, and pay rent to live on property. Because I am on call 24/7, are there any tax benefits I should take advantage of?

I manage a bed and breakfast, and I pay rent to the owner to live on property to be available to guests 24/7. I am a salaried employee. 

Is there a way that I can get some of my rent money back in taxes, or any additional benefits I should be seeking? I am not receiving a discounted rental rate or anything.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work as the manager of a bed and breakfast, and pay rent to live on property. Because I am on call 24/7, are there any tax benefits I should take advantage of?

Unfortunately, no.  As this arrangement stands, there isn't really anything you can do.

However, you may want to talk to your employer to change this arrangement.  🙂

If your employer requires you to live on-premises, that value would be tax-free.  That will save both you and your employer taxes.

For example, let's say you currently get $4000 a month in salary and pay $1000 a month in rent.  If your employer changes the situation, your employer could pay you $3000 a month and require you to live on premises rent-free. Your net amount would be the same, but $1000 less would be subject to income taxes and Social Security/Medicare taxes.  Your employer would save on Social Security/Medicare taxes, and possibly Federal Unemployment, State Unemployment, and Worker's Compensation.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p15b#en_US_2017_publink1000193699

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Unfortunately, no.  As this arrangement stands, there isn't really anything you can do.

However, you may want to talk to your employer to change this arrangement.  🙂

If your employer requires you to live on-premises, that value would be tax-free.  That will save both you and your employer taxes.

For example, let's say you currently get $4000 a month in salary and pay $1000 a month in rent.  If your employer changes the situation, your employer could pay you $3000 a month and require you to live on premises rent-free. Your net amount would be the same, but $1000 less would be subject to income taxes and Social Security/Medicare taxes.  Your employer would save on Social Security/Medicare taxes, and possibly Federal Unemployment, State Unemployment, and Worker's Compensation.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p15b#en_US_2017_publink1000193699

Thank you! I'll look in to that for sure!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies