turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

frogpie9
Returning Member

Two 1099-S forms issued for rental home sale to legally separated spouses

We live apart, legally separated for 9 years.  Last year, we sold a rental property jointly owned for 30 years.  For simplicity’s sake, assume sales price = original purchase price.  All assets (but 1) fully depreciated prior to year 20, when we filed MFJ.  Capital gains equals zero, but Depreciation recapture equals 75% of sales price (basically the value of the building depreciated on the land).

For past 10 yrs, I filed Single, managed rental 100% & attached Schedule E on my returns.  When I switched to Single status, I indicated I was 100% owner & the only active participant.  His whereabouts were unknown for years.  Both our names were on the mortgage, deed & past IRA returns, with his name first.

We each got a check at closing, so 2 1099-S forms were issued for equal amounts.

I’ve been trying to contact my ex, in order to file MFJ.  Having both 1099-S forms makes the rental sale straightforward, and I offered to pay 100% of the tax bill due. We’d both benefit from the Schedule E & the higher tax bracket.  I have no idea, but assume he has 0 income.  Also not sure if he files taxes…. or owes back taxes. 

If I file with Single status & half the appropriate numbers, I think I figured out what seems to be my accurate return for half of the sale & half the depreciation recapture.  Aside from a note, is there a way to indicate the party responsible for the other half of the first 20 years of depreciation recapture?  If I file Single, and he doesn’t file at all, the other half may never get paid.  I want to ensure the IRS receives all the right numbers & full payment.

Filing an extension may help or complicate things further.  If I file an extension with a Single status (& payment), could I later switch it to MFJ (after 4/18 deadline), and file jointly with him within 6 months?  If he doesn’t file 2021 taxes & doesn’t file any extension, would we be able to file MFJ?

If he agrees prior to the tax filing deadline, can I file an extension (with payment) for us both (MFJ)?

These numbers are made-up.  If I file a Single extension, I’d owe about $30K, using the full sale price of the house (with half the proceeds on just one Form 1099-S).  With an MFJ extension, we’d owe less than $10K, and I’d pay it in full.  If I file an MFJ extension and he owes current or back-taxes, would it or could it get applied to any of his potential debt?  Could he then file single (0 income) & get a 10K refund?  Or, I should I file a Single extension with half the numbers, since I received half the proceeds on a 1099-S….and somehow indicate he’s the other half owner…and send the IRS an enormous check for the temporary delay.  Your advice is very much appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Two 1099-S forms issued for rental home sale to legally separated spouses

Are you single or married? You say you are legally separated but want to file jointly.

Unmarried persons.

You are unmarried for the whole year if either of the following applies.

You have obtained a final decree of divorce or separate maintenance by the last day of your tax year. You must follow your state law to determine if you are divorced or legally separated.

If you are single, file your portion of the proceeds, depreciation, and basis. Don't worry about his portion. It is not your responsibility.

If you are married, you have to option to file jointly or as separated. If you file jointly, you are taking on the liability for both of you.

Joint and individual liability.

Both you and your spouse may be held responsible, jointly and individually, for the tax and any interest or penalty due on your joint return. This means that one spouse may be held liable for all the tax due even if all the income was earned by the other spouse.

PUB 504

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies