turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Federal taxes due estimate is not correct when entering long-term gains

I'm adding income from stocks (RSU) that I held for a long-time (> 2 years). I label them as "long-term basis not reported to the IRS" (as indicated on the 1099-B), I add both the cost basis and the proceeds.

I just entered a sale of stocks that way that I held for over 2 years and I gained $906. TT's estimate of my federal taxes increased by $348 after submitting. This is equivalent to a 38% tax rate and not the expected 20%.

What am I doing wrong or why does TT think I owe 38% on long-term gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax Federal taxes due estimate is not correct when entering long-term gains

one more observation: if I switch the the description of the stock sale from long-term to short-term the federal tax estimate in TT doesn't change. That doesn't seem right ...?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The tax rate on most net capital gain is no higher than 15% for most individuals. Some or all net capital gain may be taxed at 0% if your taxable income is less than $78,750.

A capital gain rate of 15% applies if your taxable income is $78,750 or more but less than $434,550 for single; $488,850 for married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er); $461,700 for head of household, or $244,425 for married filing separately.

However, a net capital gain tax rate of 20% applies to the extent that your taxable income exceeds the thresholds set for the 15% capital gain rate.

There are a few other exceptions where capital gains may be taxed at rates greater than 20%:

1. The taxable part of a gain from selling section 1202 qualified small business stock is taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
  2. Net capital gains from selling collectibles (such as coins or art) are taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
  3. The portion of any unrecaptured section 1250 gain from selling section 1250 real property is taxed at a maximum 25% rate.

Note: Net short-term capital gains are subject to taxation as ordinary income at graduated tax rates.

The holding period (long term or short-term) is determined by the dates you enter and not so much the description you chose.  So, double check your Schedule D and verify the sales are reported as Long-Term and not Short-Term as short-term gains are taxed at your ordinary rates which could be up to 37%.   

How to Report RSUs or Stock Grants on Your Tax Return

Capital Gains and Losses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies