turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

floydee

Rental Condo Sale (used as home for 4 years prior)

I need to sell my rental condo. It has been a rental for the past 8 years. Prior to that I used the condo as my home for 4 years.

I need to know whether Turbo Tax will be able to account for the above accurately, taken into account Depreciation accurately or would it just tax my Sale as a pure Rental Investment sale?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Rental Condo Sale (used as home for 4 years prior)

TurboTax does account for all related information including depreciation upon a sale of rental. 

Here are the steps to record rental income and expenses and the sale of a rental.  You do need to upgrade to TurboTax Premier online version to complete the transaction:

1.  Sign into your account and select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in schedule e and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to schedule e

4.  On next screen, Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Own, answer Yes to 

Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2016 for property you own?  Continue through a few               screens..

5.  On screen, Do Any of These Situations Apply to This Property?  check I sold or disposed of this property                        in 2016. Continue through ...

6.  On the screen, Your Rental Summary, select Start at the sections where you need to enter information.  At 

Sale of Property / Depreciation,   select Start

7.  Follow the prompts to complete.  

See the first two attached screenshots.  Continue...  

8.  On screen, Depreciation for Your Rental Property , select Yes and follow prompts

9.  On screen, Describe This Asset, select Rental Real Estate Property and Continue, follow prompts

10. On screen, Tell Us About This Rental Asset, select Residential Rental Real Estate and select Continue

11. On screen, Tell Us About This Rental Asset, check the item was sold, retired, stolen and destroyed.

12.  Continue to complete transaction

See the last three screenshots.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies