turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

unblock

TurboTax 2019 Error for QSB Installment Sales?

i sold stock this year (2019) in an installment sale with a second and final payment to be received in 2020.

the stock is a QSB an i have held all shares at least 5 years.

however i enter it into turbotax, on schedule d line 10, it subtracts either 50% or 100% of my gain, but then on line 11, it also adds in 100% of what i received as an installment sale.

so i'm actually paying tax on either 100% or 150% of what i received this year!

hopefully i haven't found the right way to enter it; alternatively, maybe it's a bug in turbotax that they haven't gotten to yet (i know the dust is never quite settled in december).

any thoughts?

thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@unblock wrote:

hopefully i haven't found the right way to enter it; alternatively, maybe it's a bug in turbotax that they haven't gotten to yet (i know the dust is never quite settled in december).

That could be the case, perhaps in combination with the fact that the software still needs to be completed and updated. 

Regardless, you should probably enter this transaction as an installment sale (type "installment sales" in the search box and click the "Jump to installment sales" link); there is a question there concerning the Section 1202 exclusion.

unblock

thanks!  just to complicate matters, the stock was originally acquired through exercise of an qualifying iso.

will deluxe be able to handle all of this or do i need to upgrade to premier?

The desktop (installed) version of Deluxe can handle the transaction, since it has all of the forms, but you will get more guidance (including the appropriate screens in Step-by-Step Mode) with Premier.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies