TT will not net my passive income and losses on Sch E or Form 8582.

Have several partnership K-1s, one with passive income and three with passive losses.  The income shows up on Sch E, but the losses are not allowed.  Form 8582 only shows the income.   Cannot edit these forms

One Sch E Worksheets show passive income  and the other three Sch E Worksheets have suspended passive losses.  How can I apply the passive losses against the passive income?  It does not seem to happen automatically.

Problem Solved.  The answer is that there are particular tax rules applying to treatment of passive income and losses from publically traded partnerships (PTP).  Each publically traded partnership is treated individually, i.e. passive losses generated by a PTP can only be used to offset income from that same PTP.  Excess passive losses from a PTP will be suspended and carried over into the next year.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing