turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to report/ensure proper cost basis for company RSU's on this year's return or next years? Shares vested 12/15/2018, but I didn't sell them until January 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to report/ensure proper cost basis for company RSU's on this year's return or next years? Shares vested 12/15/2018, but I didn't sell them until January 2019.

Uhmm... No, you don't need to really do anything special here: simply entering your W-2 should be all that's required.

The vesting of the RSU created compensation income in the amount of (GROSS number of shares that vested) x (per share FMV of the stock at vesting date).  That compensation should be included in your Box 1 amount on the W-2 and disclosed to you either in Box 12 or, more likely, Box 14. 

"Compensation" requires "withholding" and typically this is done by selling some of the shares on the vesting date.  That cash is passed back to the employer, who pays the government(s) and scatters those numbers among the "tax" Boxes of the W-2.  Typically those amounts aren't disclosed to you.

If you get a 1099-B - you might or might not - then you enter the 1099-B.  Your per share basis is that same per share FMV used to calculate the compensation, it's not $0 as the 1099-B states.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Uhmm... No, you don't need to really do anything special here: simply entering your W-2 should be all that's required.

The vesting of the RSU created compensation income in the amount of (GROSS number of shares that vested) x (per share FMV of the stock at vesting date).  That compensation should be included in your Box 1 amount on the W-2 and disclosed to you either in Box 12 or, more likely, Box 14. 

"Compensation" requires "withholding" and typically this is done by selling some of the shares on the vesting date.  That cash is passed back to the employer, who pays the government(s) and scatters those numbers among the "tax" Boxes of the W-2.  Typically those amounts aren't disclosed to you.

If you get a 1099-B - you might or might not - then you enter the 1099-B.  Your per share basis is that same per share FMV used to calculate the compensation, it's not $0 as the 1099-B states.

Tom Young

This year.

An RSU becomes taxable upon completion of the vesting schedule. 

For restricted stock plans, the entire amount of the vested stock must be counted as ordinary income in the year of vesting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies