turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Exempt Capital Gains

I received a form from my broker regarding tax exempt capital gains distributions shown in column 2a of 1099DIV. The form  lists the funds in their family where there could be tax exempt cap gains distributions. Is there an entry on the federal return for this or is this something that is adjusted when I do my state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax Exempt Capital Gains

The fund may hold Tax-exempt bonds where their Dividends are exempt...but not the Capital Gains themselves.  

Anything in box 2a on the 1099-DIV would be taxable.  

What is in box 10 of that 1099-DIV will not be Federally taxable, but will be mostly taxed by your state, (unless the bond fund owns a significant % of your own state's bonds, or perhaps if you live in a non-income taxing state).

OF course, "Never say Never".  Someone may think of an exception and post it here. 

(like, a couple states have some partial Capital Gains exemptions, but that doesn't apply to Federal) 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Tax Exempt Capital Gains

The fund may hold Tax-exempt bonds where their Dividends are exempt...but not the Capital Gains themselves.  

Anything in box 2a on the 1099-DIV would be taxable.  

What is in box 10 of that 1099-DIV will not be Federally taxable, but will be mostly taxed by your state, (unless the bond fund owns a significant % of your own state's bonds, or perhaps if you live in a non-income taxing state).

OF course, "Never say Never".  Someone may think of an exception and post it here. 

(like, a couple states have some partial Capital Gains exemptions, but that doesn't apply to Federal) 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies