turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttax

How do I recapture the depreciation expense on my Primary Residence with partial rental?

I sold my single family house primary residence. I had been renting out part of it. Each year I reported rental income and expenses, including depreciation. Now I need to deal with the past depreciation recapture.  Using Turbotax Deluxe, I entered the sale information and the past depreciation expense in the Asset Entry Worksheet. The Asset Life History form verifies this information. Turbotax seems to handle the partial year income, expenses, and depreciation, but I don't see where the depreciation recapture is factored in. Do I need to enter additional information somewhere else, or is the recapture actually factored in somewhere and I don't see it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

How do I recapture the depreciation expense on my Primary Residence with partial rental?

The depreciation recapture shows as "other income" and taxed at your regular rate. 

If it was factored on a rental, it should show as income on your Schedule E or Schedule C. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

The depreciation recapture shows as "other income" and taxed at your regular rate. 

If it was factored on a rental, it should show as income on your Schedule E or Schedule C. 

ttax

Thank you TurboTaxKrisD  for being so quick and helpful. You're a hero!

Try Schedule D, Line 19, or the Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain Worksheet, finally the tax on it is computed on Schedule D Tax Worksheet, or perhaps the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet, depending on your situation.

ttax

Thank you Zbucklyo for your quick and helpful answer. You're help was wonderful!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies