turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qunjie
Returning Member

The 600K cash from a cashout refi was used to pay off a high rate loan of an investment property, can the interests of that 600K being deducted from the rental income?

I did a cashout refi of our primary house, and took out 600K cash to pay off a high rate loan for an investment property . Can the interests paid for that 600K being deducted from the rental income of that investment property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The 600K cash from a cashout refi was used to pay off a high rate loan of an investment property, can the interests of that 600K being deducted from the rental income?

Maybe.  It depends on how closely you can trace the loan proceeds to the investment.  If audited, the IRS will want you to prove that the interest expense you are deducting as an investment expense is directly traceable to the investment property/income.  The more you mix things together and combine them, the more at risk you are in an audit.  For example, you should not use part of the loan for the investment property and part for your personal home, or for personal bills, or a vacation.  

qunjie
Returning Member

Thank you, did anything changed with the new Trump tax law that was effective in tax year 2018 on this?
royince
Returning Member

I have a similar question.  I refinance my primary home mortgage to pull cash out to pay off a rental loan at a higher rate.  My primary was about $500 and I refi for $627.  I don't think I can deduct as interest on my primary house.  Can this $127,000 be treated as interest deduction for my rental property even though the security is my home ?  Do I use 500/627 % as the primary interest and 127/627 as the rental.  Do I  need to be able to trace the transactions ?

See "mixed-use mortgages" in publication 936. It tells you that home equity portion of the loan is paid off before home acquisition debt. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies