turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rex2

What do I get taxed for on capital gains for sale of my rental property that was my previous primary property. I lived for 6 years and rented for last two.

I bought for 162k in 2012. I lived in the house for 6 years and rented for last two years. My capital gains if I sell now would be 100K. I took depreciation the last couple of years i rented out. Since I am within the 2 of 5 yr rule. Do i get away with capital gains tax? And just pay tax on the depreciation

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I get taxed for on capital gains for sale of my rental property that was my previous primary property. I lived for 6 years and rented for last two.

here's an example.  say the basis of the (I'm assuming residential) building is $100,000 over 2 full years the maximum depreciation would be about $7,300  the maximum recapture tax (assuming you are not subject to Net investment income surtax)  would be 25% or about $1,800.  + state taxes, if applicable.    compare that to attornies fees and exchange trustee/qualified intermediary fees.  i didn't use 162K because I don't know what was allocated to land.   

here's an example of what the charges might be but you should ask. 

http://www.exeter1031.com/1031_exchange_fees_costs_charges.aspx

the rules

What Real Estate 1031 Exchange Rules Must I Follow?

Rule 1: Like-Kind Property

To qualify as a 1031 exchange, the property being sold and the property being acquired must be “like-kind.”

Like-Kind Property Definition: Like-Kind property is a very broad term which means that both the original and replacement properties must be of “the same nature or character, even if they differ in grade or quality.” (4) In other words, you can’t exchange farming equipment for an apartment building, because they’re not the same asset. In terms of real estate, you can exchange almost any type of property, as long as it’s not personal property.

For example:

1. Exchanging an apartment building for a duplex would be allowed.

2. Exchanging a single family rental property for a commercial office building would be allowed

3. Exchanging a rental property or vacation rental for a restaurant space would be allowed.

EXCEPTION: It’s important to note that the original and replacement property must be within the U.S. to qualify under section 1031.

**Another fun fact: Starker Exchanges can include more than two properties. For example, you can exchange one property for multiple replacement properties and vice versa: you can exchange multiple properties and for one larger property. As long as the new properties are like your original properties, you’re good to go. Do yourself a favor and get a good qualified intermediary to assist you.

Rule 2: Investment or Business Property Only

A 1031 exchange is only applicable for Investment or business property, not personal property. In other words, you can’t swap one primary residence for another.

For example:

1. If you moved from California to Georgia, you could not exchange your primary residence in California for another primary residence in Georgia.

2. If you were to get married, and move into the home of your partner, you could not exchange your current primary residence for a vacation property.

3. If you were to own a single-family rental property in Idaho, you could exchange it for a commercial rental property in Texas.

Rule 3: Greater or Equal Value

In order to completely avoid paying any taxes upon the sale of your property, the IRS requires the net market value and equity of the property purchased must be the same as, or greater than the property sold. Otherwise, you will not be able to defer 100% of the tax.

For example, let’s say you have a property worth $2,000,000, and a mortgage of $500,000. To receive the full benefit of the 1031, the new property (or properties) you purchase need to have a net worth of at least 2 million dollars, and you’ll have to carry over at least a $500,000 mortgage. It’s important to note that the $2,000,000+ value, and $500,000 mortgage, can go towards one apartment building or three different properties with a total value of $2,000,000+. (FYI: Acquisition costs, such as inspections and broker fees also apply toward the total cost of the new property.)

Rule 4: Must Not Receive “Boot”

A Taxpayer Must Not Receive “Boot” in order for the exchange to be completely tax-free. Any boot received is taxable to the extent of gain realized on the exchange. In other words, you can carry out a partial 1031 exchange, in which the new property is of lesser value, but this will not be 100% tax free. The difference is called “Boot,” which is the amount you will have to pay capital gains taxes on. This option is completely okay, and often used when a seller wants to make some cash, and is willing to pay some taxes to do so.

An example of this would be if your original property is sold for $2,000,000 and the property you wish to exchange under section 1031 is worth $1,500,000, you would need to pay the normal capital gains tax on the $500,000 “boot.”

Rule 5: Same Tax Payer

The tax return, and name appearing on the title of the property being sold, must be the same as the tax return and title holder that buys the new property. However, an exception to this rule occurs in the case of a single member limited liability company (“smllc”), which is considered a pass-through to the member. Therefore, the smllc may sell the original property, and that sole member may purchase the new property in their individual name.

For example, the single member of “Sally Jones LLC” is Sally Jones. The LLC can sell the property owned by the LLC, and because Sally Jones is the sole member of the LLC, he can purchase property in his name, and be in compliance with the 1031 code.

Rule 6: 45 Day Identification Window

The property owner has 45 calendar days, post-closing of the first property, to identify up to three potential properties of like-kind. This can be really difficult because the deals still need to make sense from a cash perspective. This is true especially in today’s market because people tend to overprice their properties when there are low-interest rates, so finding all the properties you need can be a challenge.

An exception to this is known as the 200% rule. In this situation, you can identify four or more properties as long as the value of those four combined does not exceed 200% of the value of the property sold.

Rule 7: 180 Day Purchase Window

It’s necessary that the replacement property be received and the exchange completed no later than 180 days after the sale of the exchanged property OR the due date of the income tax return (with extensions) for the tax year in which the relinquished property was sold, whichever is earlier.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

here's an example.  say the basis of the (I'm assuming residential) building is $100,000 over 2 full years the maximum depreciation would be about $7,300  the maximum recapture tax (assuming you are not subject to Net investment income surtax)  would be 25% or about $1,800.  + state taxes, if applicable.    compare that to attornies fees and exchange trustee/qualified intermediary fees.  i didn't use 162K because I don't know what was allocated to land.   

here's an example of what the charges might be but you should ask. 

http://www.exeter1031.com/1031_exchange_fees_costs_charges.aspx

the rules

What Real Estate 1031 Exchange Rules Must I Follow?

Rule 1: Like-Kind Property

To qualify as a 1031 exchange, the property being sold and the property being acquired must be “like-kind.”

Like-Kind Property Definition: Like-Kind property is a very broad term which means that both the original and replacement properties must be of “the same nature or character, even if they differ in grade or quality.” (4) In other words, you can’t exchange farming equipment for an apartment building, because they’re not the same asset. In terms of real estate, you can exchange almost any type of property, as long as it’s not personal property.

For example:

1. Exchanging an apartment building for a duplex would be allowed.

2. Exchanging a single family rental property for a commercial office building would be allowed

3. Exchanging a rental property or vacation rental for a restaurant space would be allowed.

EXCEPTION: It’s important to note that the original and replacement property must be within the U.S. to qualify under section 1031.

**Another fun fact: Starker Exchanges can include more than two properties. For example, you can exchange one property for multiple replacement properties and vice versa: you can exchange multiple properties and for one larger property. As long as the new properties are like your original properties, you’re good to go. Do yourself a favor and get a good qualified intermediary to assist you.

Rule 2: Investment or Business Property Only

A 1031 exchange is only applicable for Investment or business property, not personal property. In other words, you can’t swap one primary residence for another.

For example:

1. If you moved from California to Georgia, you could not exchange your primary residence in California for another primary residence in Georgia.

2. If you were to get married, and move into the home of your partner, you could not exchange your current primary residence for a vacation property.

3. If you were to own a single-family rental property in Idaho, you could exchange it for a commercial rental property in Texas.

Rule 3: Greater or Equal Value

In order to completely avoid paying any taxes upon the sale of your property, the IRS requires the net market value and equity of the property purchased must be the same as, or greater than the property sold. Otherwise, you will not be able to defer 100% of the tax.

For example, let’s say you have a property worth $2,000,000, and a mortgage of $500,000. To receive the full benefit of the 1031, the new property (or properties) you purchase need to have a net worth of at least 2 million dollars, and you’ll have to carry over at least a $500,000 mortgage. It’s important to note that the $2,000,000+ value, and $500,000 mortgage, can go towards one apartment building or three different properties with a total value of $2,000,000+. (FYI: Acquisition costs, such as inspections and broker fees also apply toward the total cost of the new property.)

Rule 4: Must Not Receive “Boot”

A Taxpayer Must Not Receive “Boot” in order for the exchange to be completely tax-free. Any boot received is taxable to the extent of gain realized on the exchange. In other words, you can carry out a partial 1031 exchange, in which the new property is of lesser value, but this will not be 100% tax free. The difference is called “Boot,” which is the amount you will have to pay capital gains taxes on. This option is completely okay, and often used when a seller wants to make some cash, and is willing to pay some taxes to do so.

An example of this would be if your original property is sold for $2,000,000 and the property you wish to exchange under section 1031 is worth $1,500,000, you would need to pay the normal capital gains tax on the $500,000 “boot.”

Rule 5: Same Tax Payer

The tax return, and name appearing on the title of the property being sold, must be the same as the tax return and title holder that buys the new property. However, an exception to this rule occurs in the case of a single member limited liability company (“smllc”), which is considered a pass-through to the member. Therefore, the smllc may sell the original property, and that sole member may purchase the new property in their individual name.

For example, the single member of “Sally Jones LLC” is Sally Jones. The LLC can sell the property owned by the LLC, and because Sally Jones is the sole member of the LLC, he can purchase property in his name, and be in compliance with the 1031 code.

Rule 6: 45 Day Identification Window

The property owner has 45 calendar days, post-closing of the first property, to identify up to three potential properties of like-kind. This can be really difficult because the deals still need to make sense from a cash perspective. This is true especially in today’s market because people tend to overprice their properties when there are low-interest rates, so finding all the properties you need can be a challenge.

An exception to this is known as the 200% rule. In this situation, you can identify four or more properties as long as the value of those four combined does not exceed 200% of the value of the property sold.

Rule 7: 180 Day Purchase Window

It’s necessary that the replacement property be received and the exchange completed no later than 180 days after the sale of the exchanged property OR the due date of the income tax return (with extensions) for the tax year in which the relinquished property was sold, whichever is earlier.

Since I am within the 2 of 5 yr rule. Do i get away with capital gains tax? And just pay tax on the depreciation

Yes you do if you have not sold a primary residence in the last 2 years all you would have is the depreciation recapture at ordinary rates.

Rex2

Thanks  Critter. Can I do a 1031 exchange for the depreciation recapture to defer taxes?
Rex2

Also are the two years that I rented considered non qualifying use? And do i have capital gains tax exemption only on the years I lived? Since I used the house for rentals for 20% of the time. So of my 100k capital gains do I get to keep 80k tax free and pay tax on the 20k?
Rex2

Also are the two years that I rented considered non qualifying use? And do i have capital gains tax exemption only on the years I lived? Since I used the house for rentals for 20% of the time. So of my 100k capital gains do I get to keep 80k tax free and pay tax on the 20k?

Yes, you could do a 1031 exchange if you are buying another rental property.  However, I suspect the exchange costs would be MORE than the amount of tax you save, so that probably isn't a good idea.

No, rental time AFTER the last time you lived there is NOT "Nonqualifying Use".  As Critter said, you will only pay tax on the depreciation.
sharonli1138
Returning Member

Regarding rule 3, if the relinquished property does not have a mortgage, would I be able to obtain financing on the replacement property? Assuming price of replacement property is more than the sales price of relinquished 

Hi.  I don't think this qualifies as a 1031 Exchange question, but it's in the ballpark.  I'm trying to find a clear rule for avoiding capital gains on your rental property if it was formerly your primary residence.  So, here's the scenario:

• Purchased as primary residence in 2002.
  • Became Investment property June 1st, 2019.
  • We are not renewing the lease, which expires on August 30th 2021. 
  • We anticipate putting it immediately on the market when the lease expires.

If the property is sold before the end of 2021, do we avoid capital gains penalties?  I'm having difficulty following the "If you have lived in the property at least 3 of the past 5 years" rule.  What's the impact on our capitals gains if we sell by the end of the year?  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you do not sell by May 31, 2021, you will pay capital gains on the profit as well as pay tax on the depreciation recapture. 

On the date you sell, you can look back 5 years. IF you lived in the house as your home for at least 3 of those 5 years, you might have other options. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Are we shown "any love" by the IRS if some of the proceeds of the sale of the rental property is used to pay down or pay off the mortgage of our current primary residence?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, no.  A mortgage or any other debt associated with the property has no bearing on the tax when you sale.  The only "benefit" here is no more payment to make. 

what is my tax liabilty if i sell a rental property I bought in 1031 exchange

How I will caluculate my depreciation o 1031 exchange property 

I have a situation that falls under Rule#4.  I am selling a house for $1,050,000 with an adjusted cost basis of $550,000 and have taken $89,000 in depreciation.  I have a $284,000 mortgage.  I will net $714,000 from closing and want to do a partial 1031 putting $500,000 into a 1031DST and take the remaining in cash.  I have all the funds going to a QI from closing.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to input this into Turbo Tax.  Any help here, or should I just do a manual override.  Or, just hire a CPA?  Seems like this is over TurboTax's head.  Any help would be appreciated.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies