turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Wife and I have an LLC for a Rental Property, but I am an employee of a corp and therefore received a W-2, she does not. I need to determine which software to use.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

My Wife and I have an LLC for a Rental Property, but I am an employee of a corp and therefore received a W-2, she does not. I need to determine which software to use.

Is the LLC incorporated or do you file a partnership return ?   

If not then the LLC is disregarded for tax purposes and you put the rental on a Sch E.  If this is your situation then you can use ANY of the downloaded versions  or  if you use the Online version you will need Premier or better.

We selected to bee tax as a multi-member partnership. This is the first year of our LLC, That is why we do not how to input the income and losses. Is my understanding we have to fill.

Which state?

Florida.

If this is your first Partnership return I highly recommend you use a paid preparer to get things set up correctly and get educated. 

To prepare a corporate, trust or partnership return you would need Turbotax Business. This is a separate program from Turbotax Home and Business or the Online Self Employment version. TT Business is a program only available for desktop windows use (there is no on-line or Mac version.)

http://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/forms-business.jsp

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1917225-is-turbotax-business-right-for-me

To prepare a personal return, depending on the complexity, you will need a version that prepares Forms 1040 such as Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business, etc.   If you have a Schedule K-1 from either a Form 1120-S, Form 1065 or Form 1041 you will need either the Premier version or (if you also have an unincorporated business) the Home and Business version when using the online program.  

All the 2017 downloaded programs will handle the personal return.

View this product guide chart to see which product is best for you:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/lp/ty14/desktop/lp1.jsp#irs-forms

@Critter#2
"Wife and I have an LLC for a Rental Property, but I am an employee of a corp and therefore received a W-2."
Partners are not employees and should not be issued a Form W-2.

So, TurboTax Business will fill the 1065 form and generated a separate   K-1 Form for us to add to our personal tax return?

Thanks for the fast responses

The Form W-2 I received is from my day job (a separate corporation), not for the LLC.
Thanks

Got it. You said "a" corp, not "the" corp.  And, yes, TT Business will do the Form 1065 and generate the K-1 forms..

Yes ... the K-1 for each of you is populated by completing the form 1065 ... and it must be filed first and by 3/15/18.

Thanks SweetieJean.

Thanks Critter#2.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies