turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

josie1492

Tax exempt interest on municipal bonds

I receive tax exempt interest on municipal bonds, from Louisiana and different states.  I need to know where to enter the others beside LA. to back the income from others states back to LA.
Where in turbo tax do I enter that
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Tax exempt interest on municipal bonds

You get the break down, by state,  from your mutual fund company. If they did not provide a breakdown, you check the box “I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state” on the first screen after entering the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV. Then select  "More than one state" at the bottom of the state  scroll down list.

If your mutual fund company provided you a breakdown, you are only interested in your home state*. Multiply the % for your state by your total tax exempt dividends to get a $ amount (you can't enter the % in TurboTax [TT]). When asked which state, check the box "I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state". In the drop down menu, select your state and enter the $ amount you calculated. In the 2nd box, select "More than one state" (at the bottom of the scroll down list) and enter the remaining dollar amount.

*Your state will tax all the dividends except the dividends from municipal bonds  from your state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies