turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sskk
Level 1

Stock Trading losses carry forward from 2019 to 2020

For example, if I had a $10K 2019 stock trading loss carried forward to 2020, and I had a net 2020 stock trading gain of $40K, my understanding is my 2020 taxable amount would be $30K, correct? I had a TurboTax live call today and the lady confused me with her answer that I can only use $3K of carrying forward loss to offset against my gain of $50k in 2020. Please assist and confirm.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are correct that your carryover loss is subtracted from your 2020 gain. TurboTax will calculate that for you if you used the program last year and you carry over your data. The $3,000 amount refers to the fact that if you had a net capital gain loss of more than $3,000, only a maximum of $3,000 would be subtracted from your other income. The rest would be carried over to the next year. But that is not your situation. 

View solution in original post

You said 2 amounts.  Do you have  net gain for 2020 of 40,000 or 50,000?  Doesn't matter,  you get to use the whole 10,000 carryover amount.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes You can deduct the full amount 10,000.

You get to first offset the loss against any gains you have each year so that can use more of it up.  Then after applying the loss to the current gains you can take a max loss of 3,000 (1,500 MFS)per year.  Turbo Tax does all the calculations for you.  Just enter the prior year carryover amount.

If you transferred your prior return it should be already filled in.

Enter a Capital Loss Carryover under

Federal Taxes or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Investment Income

Capital Loss Carryovers - Click the Start or Update button

You are correct that your carryover loss is subtracted from your 2020 gain. TurboTax will calculate that for you if you used the program last year and you carry over your data. The $3,000 amount refers to the fact that if you had a net capital gain loss of more than $3,000, only a maximum of $3,000 would be subtracted from your other income. The rest would be carried over to the next year. But that is not your situation. 

You said 2 amounts.  Do you have  net gain for 2020 of 40,000 or 50,000?  Doesn't matter,  you get to use the whole 10,000 carryover amount.

as often happens, the so-called experts at TurboTax gave incorrect information.

The "Live" person is supposed to be a CPA and should know the correct answer.

It all depends on the question that is being asked ... ask a bad question and you get a bad answer.  The answer given was to a different question ... so who was misunderstood ?   The poser of the question or the person answering ? 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies