turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have printed my return. Realized that I have not yet filed a 1099B. How do I reopen turbo tax and enter this information. Appreciate help.

Not yet mailed the return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have printed my return. Realized that I have not yet filed a 1099B. How do I reopen turbo tax and enter this information. Appreciate help.

My answer below tells you how to proceed.   But why are you wanting to print and mail the return instead of efiling?   Was there something in your return that didn't allow for efiling?

@ victor_richard
OOPS!   The steps I pasted in my Answer below were from a recent similar answer for another user, on how to import a 1099-B, but he had specifically mentioned "Charles Schwab."    I didn't notice the name "Charles Schwab" was included in the steps until I clicked on Submit.  I removed them right after I submitted, but you likely got an email with the original answer.

If so, please ignore all references to "Charles Schwab", except if, by coincidence, that is your broker.    In the answer I provided a shortcut to get to the Form 1099-B interview, and mentioned how to import, but if you don't want to import the 1099-B from your financial institution, you can click on the button that says either "I'll type it in myself", or it may say "Skip import."

Sorry for any confusion.

There was an issue with efiling.  So printed the return.  Now  Turbo Tax tells me the filing is complete and does not allow me to change the return.  I have not yet mailed the printed return to IRS and need to update  the return.  Not sure if anyone else has had this problem.  Appreciate help.  Thanks in advance !!

Sorry.. did not see the answer provided.  Will review and update...

Does TurboTax "think" you are finished, so your return is closed, but you haven't actually filed?  If so, here's how you can open it to report the 1099-B.

If you have not actually filed the 2017 return (have not efiled and haven't filed by mail), then here's how to open your return back up to continue working on it.

• Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Under 2017, look for a link "Add a State" and click. (that doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return back up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can resume working on your return to make any corrections.
  • After making changes on the Federal side, review the screens in your State Taxes as well to be sure the changes are reflected on that side.
  • Then go through the REVIEW tab to be sure all is still in order.
  • Then go through the FILE tab to choose a filing method, etc.
  • If filing by mail, it should prompt you to print the return and filing instructions.
  • If efiling, be sure you go all the way to the end to the final screen and click the button "Transmit My Returns Now".
Here's a shortcut to the 1099-B section:

• Once the return is open, click in the top right on SEARCH.
  • Enter the term 1099-B without quotes and then click the magnifying glass icon.
  • Then choose Jump to 1099-B.
  • Continue on with the screens.  After 2-3 screens you should see a screen with various logos.  You can click on the financial logo to select it, then click Continue.   If there is no logo for your institution, then you can type in the name and make a selection.
  • The next screen should be the log-in fields (if you wish to import the Form 1099-B)
  •  If you don't want to import the 1099-B from your financial institution, you can click on the button "I'll type it in myself", or may say "Skip import."
If you import the Form 1099-B, you still need to review everything in that section and the followup screens to be sure everything imported correctly, and to answer the followup questions in that topic.

NOTE:
  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies