turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sold Rental Property - where to put assets on Form 4797

I sold rental apartment building and had several individual assets.  Land I allocated to Form 4797 Part I, the Building itself I allocated to Form 4797 Part III 1250.  Where would I place the individual assets that were included in the sale of building.  Those items were Appliances, Stove, Carpet, Improvements, Refrigerators.   Do I allocate those items to Form 4797 Part III 1250?  

If I place them in Part I, the balance due is lower compared to if I place them in Part III 1250.  I currently have them in Part III 1250, however I looking to confirm if I assigned them to correct section.

I depreciated those items on Form 4562 over the years and recaptured what I needed to, just unsure which Part I should place them on Form 4797.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Sold Rental Property - where to put assets on Form 4797

You would not be adding these to 4797. Allow the program to do it. You will be asked questions about each asset that tells the program how to handle it.

The appliances are Section 1245 property.

Section 1245 property. This type of property includes tangible personal property, such as furniture and equipment, that is subject to depreciation, or intangible personal property, such as a patent or license, that is subject to amortization.

Section 1250 property - depreciable real property (like residential rental buildings), including leaseholds if they are subject to depreciation. 

The most common examples of §1250 property are buildings and ..... deck, shingles, vapor barrier, skylights, trusses, girders, and gutters. ... of the cost of construction of the building and depreciated over the life of the building.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies