turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sold a rental property in 2019. My accountant has total calculated depreciation at $458 only. Turbo Tax states that I had over $8,000 in 2019 alone

Owned property for 7 years.  Why so much depreciation in 2019?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sold a rental property in 2019. My accountant has total calculated depreciation at $458 only. Turbo Tax states that I had over $8,000 in 2019 alone

you are required to take depreciation each year on the property   if the property cost was $65,000 and say $10,000 was allocated to land (land can't be depreciated and there should have been an allocation) that leaves $55,000 to be depreciated over 27.5 years using the straight-line method  so over 7 years the total depreciation taken would be about $14,000 ($55,000 times 7 divided by 27.5 - 2000/year so for 8000/year the property would have had to have a cost of over $200,000)

we can not see your returns so have no idea of what was done in the previous years and what is being done in 2019. the numbers presented make no sense but you haven't provided any actual numbers or details

we probably could give you the depreciation that should have been taken from the date acquired to the date sold but would need the following info:

this assumes that the property wasn't converted from your home to rental and was always a rental during the period from the date acquired to the date sold.  if not, we would would need additional info 

date acquired

date sold

cost of property when acquired 

amount of the cost allocated to land

if you made improvements during the period that were capitalized, we would need

the dates acquired

the cost for each

life or type assigned. 

personally I doubt whether this can be figured out by midnight tomorrow so you properly report the sale. you should consider an extension but even if you do you have to pay in ant taxes you owe by midnight tomorrow.

your other option

You are asking from TT Live, for which you paid extra. Please contact a rep.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

Your rental property would have WAY more depreciation than $458 over 7 years.

What is showing up on Line 18 of Schedule E for last year (the year the accountant did the tax return)?

Carl
Level 15

If you sold the property in 2019 and closed on the sale in January of 2019, then I would expect  $458 to be your "2019" depreciation taken, and nowhere close to the total depreciation taken on that property over the last 7 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies