turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter a 1099 int that is associated with a rental property?

Where do I enter a 1099 int that is associated with a rental property?  Do I enter it some where in the rental property section or in some other part of the wages/income section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HelenaC

Since your rental income and your interest income are reported on your personal income tax return, enter IRS form 1099-Int under Federal Taxes, Wages and Income. There is no interest income reporting, on Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss (From rental real estate), just rental income.

To enter your 1099-INT:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300478

svak1

If you don't report it on Schedule E, then you don't receive the Qualified Business Income Deduction on that amount.  That amount can be significant.  Any other ideas about how to enter it for Rental Property?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If your rental property qualifies as a trade or business, then you can include the interest income on your rental schedule.

QBI does not include items such as: 

• Items that are not properly includable in taxable income. Investment items such as capital gains or losses. 
  • Interest income not properly allocable to a trade or business.

Solely for the purposes of section 199A, a safe harbor is available to individuals and owners of passthrough entities who seek to claim the deduction under section 199A with respect to a rental real estate enterprise. Under the safe harbor a rental real estate enterprise will be treated as a trade or business for purposes of the QBI deduction if certain criteria are met. For more information on the safe harbor, see News Release IR-2019-158

An interest in rental real estate that does not meet the requirements of the safe harbor may still be treated as a trade or business for purposes of the QBI deduction if it otherwise is a section 162 trade or business.

See this IRS webpage for more information on the QBI deduction.

@svak1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The OP asked where to enter rental interest income and I would like to know as well.  

On Schedule E, do I put it on line 3 and aggregate it with the rent or do I put it elsewhere?  Also, if I put it on line 3, then how do I report that a 1099-INT is reported there and NOT on my personal interest income section.   Otherwise it would appear that I did not include interest income reported. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You may have to make a double entry.  Enter at the 1099-INT screen, under interest and dividends. You will get a follow up screen "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply".  Choose "I need to adjust the taxable amount".  Show the entire amount as the adjustment (positive number) and choose other reasons.  The 1099-INT income and adjustment will show on Schedule B (net $0 on Sch B).

Later, in the rental income section, enter the amount as rental income, to get it on Schedule E. 

Thank you!  Excellent answer!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies