turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I put 80% of my mortgage interest in rentals and 20% in deductions if renting a primary residence? Or all in rentals? Or all in deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Should I put 80% of my mortgage interest in rentals and 20% in deductions if renting a primary residence? Or all in rentals? Or all in deduction?

If you rented the property, not all the  interest would be in Deductions and credits.  If you rented all the property, then all the interest would go in rentals.  If you rented part of the property, allocate between the two depending on the square footage rented vs total for the house.  Be careful not to enter the same interest in both places.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

If you rented the property, not all the  interest would be in Deductions and credits.  If you rented all the property, then all the interest would go in rentals.  If you rented part of the property, allocate between the two depending on the square footage rented vs total for the house.  Be careful not to enter the same interest in both places.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies