Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I pay Q4 1040ES on rental sale if I've already paid more than 100% last year's AGI

We sold a rental property Aug 2021 and will owe Cap Gains tax.  Also withdrew from 401K in 2020 and had 18% Fed tax withheld --the witholding exceeds 100% of last year's AGI.

Is it necessary to make a Q4 ES payment to cover the estimated tax due on capital gain from sale of rental? (still trying to compute cap gain.)  Or am I covered per Safe Harbor rules.

Would I absolutely need to fill out form 2210 and annualize to avoid a Penalty for underpayment of estimated tax if I don't make a Q4 payment, or is the 100% of 2020 AGI already paid in, enough at this time. 

Also, I might owe some penalty for not paying estimated tax on the sale back in Q3 (about 40 days worth) but not clear on this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Should I pay Q4 1040ES on rental sale if I've already paid more than 100% last year's AGI

You won't get a penalty for underpayment of 2021 income tax if you paid in taxes for 2021 for an amount equal to 100% of your income tax from 2020 in a timely manner (110% if your income is over $150,000.)

All you need to do is file your tax return and pay any tax due by it's due date, not including extensions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies