Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rrcosta2

Should I include rental property depreciation for a retirement home?

I purchased a retirement home in 2017, and then rented rented it since I was not retiring until 2018. I'm using Turbo Tax Premier and it shows depreciation in addition to my other expenses for the rented home. I am planning to sell my main residence in 2018 and move into the retirement home, and not sure if I should leave the depreciation in my 2017 return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if it was rented in 2017 you should include the depreciation. You will have to recapture the depreciation whether you take it or not.

Basis adjustment for depreciation allowed or allowable. You must reduce the basis of property by the depreciation allowed or allowable, whichever is greater. Depreciation allowed is depreciation you actually deducted (from which you received a tax benefit). Pub 946

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if it was rented in 2017 you should include the depreciation. You will have to recapture the depreciation whether you take it or not.

Basis adjustment for depreciation allowed or allowable. You must reduce the basis of property by the depreciation allowed or allowable, whichever is greater. Depreciation allowed is depreciation you actually deducted (from which you received a tax benefit). Pub 946

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies