turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anushbabu
Returning Member

Short term capital loss and long term capital gain

Hi turbo tax.

This year say I am doing a joint filing(married)

I have short term capital loss  = 25K

and long term capital gains = 100k

Overall I have positive capital gains which is under 80K

Looking around the rules this is what I found

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/101515/comparing-longterm-vs-shortterm-capita...

Seems like there should not be taxable, as I filed as married jointly.

But my actual return looks different, It shows as If I owe money to IRS.

Can you please correct my confusion here

Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

This is the significant quote from the article:

"Long-term capital gains are derived from assets that are held for more than one year before they are disposed of. Long-term capital gains are taxed according to graduated thresholds for taxable income at 0%, 15%, or 20%. The tax rate on most taxpayers who report long-term capital gains is 15% or lower."

Based on what you said you will have $75K of taxable long term gain.  Depending on the tax bracket that your in you will pay, in most cases up to 15%.  But if you are in a lower tax bracket, it will reflect that tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

You're misunderstanding how long term capital gains (LTCG) are taxed. $80,250 is the taxable income threshold for the 12% tax bracket (Married Filing Jointly).  Your ordinary income, e.g. wages, go in the  12% bracket, not your LTCG.

Using an example: you have $50,000 ordinary income  and $75,000 net LTCG. After applying your standard deduction ($24,800) you have $100,200 taxable income. $25,200  (50,000 - 24,800) ordinary income will be taxed at 12%. 

$55, 050 (80,250- 25,200) of your LTCG will be taxed at 0% and $19,950 (75,000 - 55,050) will be taxed at 15%.

brianjplew1
Returning Member

In 2019 my company was purchased by a private equity group. I was given class B shares at that time.  We filed these with the IRS with a $0 dollar purchase price. In 2021 we were again purchased and the class B shares were paid out and were taxed at the time of distribution at a 20% rate (roughly $388,000). When I am preparing and entering the information from the K-1 & K-3 it shows that I owe close to $75,000 in federal tax and $15,000 in state tax. Is this correct that I get taxed twice on the capital gains?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@brianjplew1  Rather than tagging on to an existing thread, on a somewhat different topic, you should post a new question to get "more eyes on it". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies