turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjsaint

Selling rental home Oct 2018 & have $20,000 in capital gains. Do I pay est taxes in Nov and Dec or total in April 2019? Will I be penalized for having that much tax?

We will close at the end of October. 

It is long term gain estimated at $20,000. 

If I have to pay in Nov and Dec, how do I estimate how much to pay? 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Selling rental home Oct 2018 & have $20,000 in capital gains. Do I pay est taxes in Nov and Dec or total in April 2019? Will I be penalized for having that much tax?

Simple answer: you can wait and pay when you file your tax return, if you normally get a refund.

You should make estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:
- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits. 
- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of: 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.) 

There is no underpayment penalty, if you meet these rules.

The amount of tax could be quite small. Long term capital gains (LTCG) are taxed at 0% until your total income reaches the 22% tax bracket, Then LTCG are taxed at 15%. But, a portion of your gain is "deprecation recapture", which is taxed as ordinary income, but no more than 25%.

If you decide to make an estimated payment, it is not due until Jan. 15, 2019, because the extra income was  received in the 4th quarter of 2018.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: you can wait and pay when you file your tax return, if you normally get a refund.

You should make estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:
- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits. 
- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of: 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.) 

There is no underpayment penalty, if you meet these rules.

The amount of tax could be quite small. Long term capital gains (LTCG) are taxed at 0% until your total income reaches the 22% tax bracket, Then LTCG are taxed at 15%. But, a portion of your gain is "deprecation recapture", which is taxed as ordinary income, but no more than 25%.

If you decide to make an estimated payment, it is not due until Jan. 15, 2019, because the extra income was  received in the 4th quarter of 2018.

tjsaint

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies