turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Both the jointly owned rental and the family homestead were sold in 2017. The rental already has an entry. How do I rpt the sale of the homestead (was occ by stepmom)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Both the jointly owned rental and the family homestead were sold in 2017. The rental already has an entry. How do I rpt the sale of the homestead (was occ by stepmom)?

If the homestead was investment property, here's info on how to enter that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4241480

Instructions for sale of rental property:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6686119

Edited 3/12/18 6:13 pm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Wrong Answer.  NOTE: both the rental property and the homestead (not a primary residence, was occupied by step-mom as part of a life-estate interest and sold as investment property by the beneficiaries of the trust) were sold as investment properties in 2017.  there is no exclusion associated with these investment properties.  I need to know where in turbo tax does the sale of the investment property (used to be the family homestead) gets entered.
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

See Edited answer for Sale of Investment Property, which was not mentioned in original question.

OK - thank you for the direction on the Homestead sale that was not occupied by any of the owners.  About the inherited rental property that has been on my sched E for the past 10+yrs, it was also sold.  Do I need to also enter a similar sale of asset or do the details within the sold rental property section of Turbo Tax account for the capital gains of that rental?
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

You are correct that the details entered for the sale of the rental property account for any capital gains.  See edited answer for info on entering sale of rental property.

perfect!
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If the homestead was investment property, here's info on how to enter that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4241480

Instructions for sale of rental property:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6686119

Edited 3/12/18 6:13 pm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies