turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null243

I sold covered calls on a stock and then bought them back. My brokerage firm is not reporting a cost basis. Sale proceeds = my capital gains. What is my cost basis?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold covered calls on a stock and then bought them back. My brokerage firm is not reporting a cost basis. Sale proceeds = my capital gains. What is my cost basis?

"Sale proceeds = my capital gains. What is my cost basis?"

You leave the cost basis blank since the whole transaction - Proceeds minus basis - has been compressed into Box 1d.  That's how many brokers are reporting these sort of transactions these days.  Simply enter the 1099-B as it reads and you'll be fine.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

"Sale proceeds = my capital gains. What is my cost basis?"

You leave the cost basis blank since the whole transaction - Proceeds minus basis - has been compressed into Box 1d.  That's how many brokers are reporting these sort of transactions these days.  Simply enter the 1099-B as it reads and you'll be fine.

Tom Young

LisaBr

Cost basis is necessary to determine capital gains/losses.  You do not want to omit entering this information on these trades.  Brokerage firms will not report your basis on you options for many reasons.  If you do not have the information in your own records, the links below will help you determine the basis to report.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899678-how-do-i-find-a-stock-s-cost-basis

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3300116-how-do-i-find-a-stock-s-cost-basis-if-i-don-t-know-when-it... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies