turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA conversion taxability timing question

Hi.  In March 2020, I had zero traditional IRA or SEP or Simple IRA.  I made a non-deductible contribution for 2019 ($7K) and immediately converted it.  Thus, it was the full amount of my IRA holdings and should not have any tax effect.  That was all related to pre-2020 amounts.  Later in the year, I started a Simple IRA and rolled an ex-employer 403(b) into the traditional IRA.  When I enter the year-end traditional plus Simple IRA total value into TurboTax, it taxes my conversion.  Because the year-end IRA amounts are pre-tax, it seems to be using that value to calculate the percentage of the conversion that should be taxable.  Is this correct?  When I did the conversion, there was no pre-tax IRA amounts, so it should not have been taxed.  I would have thought the conversion "cleared out" the 2019 amounts and that the new 2020 contributions should be irrelevant.  Or, does it all depend on the year-end value?  (in which case I screwed myself by rolling the 403(b) last year instead of waiting until this year (or by converting, which I wouldn't have done had I known.))  Thanks in advance.

-- John R.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies