scotkass

Rolloever of 401k to Roth 401k

Hi,

I rolled over 401k funds to roth 401k in 2019.   In turbotax, there is a question which asks, "Did you make any after-tax contributions to your 401(k) plan?"  It then goes on to say, "These would e contributions you make into the plan yourself, rather than being make by your company on your behalf. (this in not common.)"  

So, I did make after tax contributions, but they were through my employer.  So, I answered no to this question.  But, I want to confirm that is the correct answer.   Could you please confirm?

Thanks

Scott

SusanY1

Rolloever of 401k to Roth 401k

Yes, you answered this question correctly.  TurboTax is asking this question to determine if it needs to assist you in accounting for some basis outside of what your employer's plan will automatically do for you.  Since you are making those after-tax contributions through your payroll inside your employer's plans, that accounting will not need to be handled in the TurboTax program (making life much easier for you in the long run!) 

scotkass

Rolloever of 401k to Roth 401k

Thanks Susan.  That's exactly what I was trying to understand.